'Tell me what happens the first time you see a woman naked.'
'The first time you see a woman naked will not be like you imagined. There will be no love, no trust, no intimacy. You won’t even be in the same room as her.
You won’t get to smile as she undresses you and you undress her. You won’t get to calm her nerves with nerves of your own. You won’t get to kiss her, feeling her lips and the edge of her tongue. You won’t get to brush your fingers over the lace of her bra or count her ribs or feel her heartbeat.
The first time you see a woman naked you will be sitting in front of a computer screen watching someone play at intimacy and perform at sex. She will contort her body to please everyone in the room but her. You will watch this woman who is not a woman, pixelated and filtered and customized. She will come ready-made, like an order at a restaurant. The man on the screen will be bigger than you, rougher than you. He will teach you how to talk to her. He will teach you where to put your hands and he will teach you what you’re supposed to like. He will teach you to take what is yours.
You must unlearn this. You must unlearn this twisted sense of love. You must unlearn the definition of pleasure and intimacy you are being taught. Kill this idea of love, this idea of entitlement, this way of scarring one another.’” —
this scared me and made me cry and i am almost embarrassed to post this but quite honestly i would rather fight for this rather than anything else.
men and womens value, and the indescribable importance of intimacy
Amy Poehler asked Hillary Clinton a question.
Leslie Knope just jumped into Pawnee River.
- fandom please I implore you all to talk about Dean Thomas more
- literally yelling for a red card during a Quidditch match
- painting a potter for president banner for his friend HOW CUTE
- offering to forge a signature so that same friend could go to the village with the rest of them
- actually he paints banners supporting Harry on two separate occasions four years apart
- is it weirder that he keeps doing that or that Harry keeps getting himself into situations where he requires banners
- good with a quill be still my beating heart the boy is an artist
- literally not giving a single fuck that their teacher was a “dangerous half-breed” because he respected the hell out of him as a person and educator
- IF YOU MEAN PROFESSOR LUPIN, HE WAS THE BEST WE EVER -
- and he grew up as a muggle so he had already been exposed to werewolf folklore and he had every excuse to be afraid or prejudiced and instead decided to judge him on a human level, even without the familiarity the trio etc. had to him
- standing up for that same teacher time and time again
- including to a ministry official who he just generally gave the sass to anyway
- never losing his faith in Harry even when his very best friend in the whole world and approximately 89% of the wizarding community basically thought the bloke was a nutjob
- convincing his best mate to join DA
there was a fair bit of an anti-dean sentiment in HBP best to ignore that then
- never having any animosity towards his friend for getting together with his ex-girlfriend so soon
- completely supporting and defending Harry while on the run because OBVIOUSLY why stop now after seven years of doing literally that at every single opportunity
- being completely bemused by but always kind towards Luna
- helping to dig the grave on the beach
- running out into the final battle without a fucking wand
- evidently winning one at some point
- everything to do with him and Seamus however you want to view their relationship but frankly I could do a whole other post on that
also I met Alfie once and he was so pretty
- dEAN THOMAS
Sophie Turner (via darshanapathak)truffleshuffle12)
photos by gerry ellis from the david sheldrick wildlife trust, a nursery and orphanage for elephants in kenya’s tsavo east national park. here, fifty five keepers are charged with being around the clock parents to an elephant. the elephants, however, are the ones who chose their caretakers; it is the keepers who must ingratiate themselves to the elephants and earn their trust.
when elephants first arrive at the orphanage they are often traumatized from having witnessed the slaughter of their mothers and family by poachers. grieving can last several months, and they often lose the will to live. but as dame daphne sheldrick, founder of the orphanage, explains, a caretaker is charged with “persuading an elephant to live when it wants to die.”
approximately 35,000 elephants are killed by humans every year. with an estimated 350,000 elephants left in the whole continent of africa, they will be gone in the wild within ten years.
cbc’s the nature of things did a program on the elephants and their caretakers. you can foster an elephant with the david sheldrick wildlife trust online here. for more on the emotional lives of elephants, as well as the david sheldrick wildlife trust and other human efforts to save them, check out these posts
Got it? Good.
From the time I was a little girl up to today Beauty and the Beast remains my favorite Disney movie because ::whispers:: he gave her a library.
Was anyone else a member of that old-school Facebook group (I’m talking like 2005 here) “I’d Marry the Beast If I Could Have a Library Like That”?
the last one fuckin killed me
harry or ron or hermione
voldemort or umbridge or bellatrix
james or sirius or remus or peter
mcgonagall or dumbledore or hagrid
dobby or kreacher or winky
luna or ginny or cho
hedwig or errol or pigwidgeon or hermes
quaffle or bludger or snitch
gryffindor or ravenclaw or slytherin or hufflepuff
hallows or horcruxes
hogwarts or beauxbatons or durmstrang
elder wand or invisibility cloak or resurrection stone
O.W.L.s or N.E.W.T.s
quirrell or lockhart or lupin or moody or umbridge or snape or carrow
crabbe or goyle
book 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7
fred or george
romione or dramione or snamione or harmony or other
owl or cat or toad
draco or harry
felix felicis or amortentia or polyjuice potion
krum or fleur or cedric
Aahh!! It’s so good/crazy! And, in my opinion, season 1, and maybe the first few episodes of season 2, is/are a completely different monster from the majority of season 2 and season 3.
Ah, I can see that! Season two definitely felt really different from the first one, so I’m glad to know I’m not crazy in thinking that. And now that I’ve finally gotten over the distracting fact that everything is just SO NOT DC I’ve gotten really sucked in :)
BUT I feel like I don’t really believe Fitz/Olivia’s relationship or get the chemistry, and they just keep doing the same thing over and over to the point where I roll my eyes every time they’re on screen together now. It’s just like one more fight, followed by an emotional scene where he tells her he loves her and she says she loves him too (but you never see WHY idk, even in flashbacks they like immediately love each other when she stands up to him once?), she says they can’t be together and she’s mad at him, and then it ends when they kiss and/or sleep together. Please tell me this pattern changes in season three because I need development if they want me to care :/
I want to know more about every single other character, though, so that’s obviously a sign of a good show (and why I’m so sucked in)! And after that dramatic end of season two reveal I’m super interested in Olivia again too (outside of Fitz). But I guess my question is, regarding the two of them, am I supposed to want them together? Am I supposed to even LIKE Fitz? I can’t tell what the narrative is supposed to be and it’s killing me - what do you think??
ETA: OH ALSO what is with Abby’s makeup in the third season premier?? Does it stay that suddenly crazy all season?? I don’t want this to be another “Leslie/Ann/April suddenly wear tons of makeup for no reason” event :(
Does anyone watch Scandal and want to talk about it?? I’m finally watching it, and I’m only two seasons in, but I want to talk about all the characters/relationships because I can’t tell if I like them or hate them and I’M GOING CRAZY
You don’t have to get a job that makes others feel comfortable about what they perceive as your success. You don’t have to explain what you plan to do with your life. You don’t have to justify your education by demonstrating its financial rewards. You don’t have to maintain an impeccable credit score. Anyone who expects you to do any of those things has no sense of history or economics or science or the arts.
You have to pay your own electric bill. You have to be kind. You have to give it all you got. You have to find people who love you truly and love them back with the same truth.
But that’s all.” — Dear Sugar, The Rumpus (via brklyn)